Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Guy talk that Bridges the Gap

“I’ve opened ___ of stores in the PGH market this year…”
My 1st house was ___ square feet. My 2nd house was double that & my 3rd house was triple that…”
I’ve got this 34 year Mercedes Benz in mint condition. My wife told me to sell it. I told her, No way! I’m not selling my baby…”

Guy talk…some of the conversation I overheard this morning @ a local coffee shop from 4 guys sitting 2 tables away from me. (not that I was ease-dropping but, bits & pieces of their conversation peaked my interest) It’s what I do that determines who I am. My identity is found in my accomplishments & my “toys.” The essence of Guy Talk.

I wonder what was said during guy talk when Jesus was “sipping on a New Testament cup of coffee” with His group of guys? The Bible gives us bits & pieces of their many conversations but wouldn’t be great to know all the details. Peter, John, Matthew, Judas & the rest may have talked about their lives before they connected with Jesus & what their lives were like afterwards.

This Sunday @ BridgePoint we’ll finish our “Bridging the Gap” series. In the past few weeks we’ve seen Jesus bridge the gap of unbelief, unforgiveness, loneliness & pain. We’ve also heard great stories from Real People about what their lives were like before they Connected to the Real God & afterwards. This week we’ll talk about the gap of past mistakes & hear from Jim Adams. Jim didn’t decide on Jesus until he was in his 50’s. Jim was a union painter for many years eventually becoming the boss on many large jobs that took him all around the U.S. Since deciding on Jesus, Jim has founded a ministry called “Feeding the Flock”, helping thousands of people, churches & ministries. Knowing Jim, I have to believe that in the past his guy talk sounded a lot like what I heard this morning. But now…Jim’s guys talk is all about how Jesus bridged the gap in his life.

It’s a great story you don’t want to miss from a Real Person who Connected to the Real God!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg:Your series is very down to earth and really gets us thinking. The testimonies are such a right on Idea and all of the testimonies that we have heard are absolutly great. All of the sermons that you have preached identify with our lives now and thats what we need. It is great for us to hear how others came to Christ and also It is a really great thing for us to hear that when we enter church for the first time or if we have been there for years that God loves us and no matter where we are in our life he will take us just the way we are. I think that the church welcomes people and makes them feel at home like a church should, I think that the testimonies of us show that we didn't always have our act cleaned up but we wised up and are now following Jesus Christ and improving day by day, and that Jesus will take us right were we are in life that we don't have to do anything for him to accept us, but accept him as Lord and Savior. I can't wait for Sunday to hear the end of this sermon series and the testimony of Jim Adams. The Church motto of Connecting real people to the real GOD is right on and Bridgepoint Church is what people need. You and Francie are doing a great Job and I am blessed to have you two as friends, family and Pastor!!! p.s. this is my first blog post ever.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If ossible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aparelho de DVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aparelho-dvd.blogspot.com. A hug.