Tuesday, May 11, 2010

God gives us what we really need!


I’m currently reading a book by Tony Campolo entitled, “Following Jesus Without Embarrssing God.” Tony is a sought after Christain speaker, Professor of Sociology at Eastern College in St. Davids, PA & the author of many books. Below is some of Tony’s thoughts on prayer;

“Our prayers are immature. When we pray, our incredibly limited understanding & our shallow spirit keep us from praying as we should. But we need not fret, because the Bible tells us the Holy Spirit is always there lifting up the prayers that we ought to have prayed to the heavenly Father but were not able to pray. The Holy Spirit actually prays for us!”

Tony then tells a story from when he was 7 & wanted to be a Cowboy. After asking his father to help him be a cowboy Tony said his father’s response was, “Let’s just wait & see.”

“I’m so glad my father didn’t give me what I thought I wanted at the age of 7. Suppose that I, at the age of 17, had asked my father about going to college & he said. “College! You can’t go to college! When you were 7, you said you wanted to be a Cowboy. I went ahead & bought you a ranch in Texas with 50 head of cattle!”

“I would have said.”How could you?” Being a cowboy was the request of a kid who really didn’t even know what life was about.” “Fortunately, because my father didn’t give me what I, in my immaturity, had throught I wanted, he was later able to give me what I really needed. So it is when we pray to our Father.”

Roman 8:26-28 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

No comments: