Saturday, October 6, 2007

For the Good of the Team

"No man is an island...For Whom the Bell Tolls"
No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main...Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee..."

A famous passage by John Donne (1573-1631) from Meditation 17, from Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions, 1624.

"It Takes 10 Hands to Score a Basket"
We want a team made up of five boys at a time, each of whom is a forward, guard and center combined...No chain is stronger than it's weakest link...the team is first..."

A few phrases from legendary UCLA Bruins Coach John Wooden to teach his players how to become the best team they could be.

"apart from me you can do nothing."
John 15:5
"I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you."
John 15:15


The words of Jesus describing how important "we" is. He knew it was going to take a team for His message to spread, one person could not do it alone! Success, accomplishment, etc... is sweeter when it's shared. There's no greater sense of fulfillment when people come together giving their best for the good of the team. Donne knew it & Wooden knew but Jesus said it first. It's all about the team.

No comments: